Making the Case
• Research and development for neglected diseases: more is still needed, and faster. Utzinger J & Keiser J. The Lancet Global Health, Volume 1, Issue 6, Pages e317 - e318, December 2013
• The drug and vaccine landscape for neglected diseases (2000–11): a systematic assessment Articles/ PDP Related Reports Archives. Pedrique B et al. The Lancet Global Health, Volume 1, Issue 6, Pages e371 - e379, December 2013
• Global burden and investment for neglected diseases? Dimitri N. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Volume 10, Issue 10, Pages 658 - 660, October 2010
• Neglected disease research and development: New times, new trends. George Institute. December 2009
• G-Finder Factsheet: Diagnostic R&D for neglected diseases. Policy Cures. November 2013.
• Bringing the lab to the patient: developing point-of-care diagnostics for resource limited settings. A report from the American Academy of Microbiology. 2012.
• Ranking Vaccines: A Prioritization Software Tool - Phase II: Prototype of a Decision-Support System. Institute of Medicine (IOM). September 2013
• Why Invest in Vaccines. GAVI Website. October 2013
• Working Towards Affordable Pricing for HPV Vaccines for Developing Countries: The Role of GAVI. The Global Task Force on Expanded Access to Cancer Care and Control in Developing Countries WORKING PAPER AND BACKGROUND NOTE SERIES, NO. 3. September 2011.
• The Need for New Vaccines .pdf. K Taylor et al. Vaccine 27S(2009) G3-G8.
• The Value of Vaccines. Two centuries of unparalleled medical progress. IFPMA. May 2008
• The global distribution and burden of dengue. Bhatt S et al. Nature (2013) doi:10.1038/nature12060 Published online 07 April 2013
• Cost-effectiveness of a pediatric dengue vaccine. Schneider Institute for Health Policy, Brandeis University. September 2003
• An Action Agenda to End AIDS. Where are we in realizing the promise of beginning to end AIDS. amfAR & AVAC. September 2013.
• A new investment framework for the global HIV response. UNAIDS. October 2001.
• Where does public funding for HIV prevention go to? The case of condoms versus microbicides and vaccines. Peters AJTP et al. Globalization and Health. 30 December 2010; 6:23.
• Microbicides: Ways Forward 2010. Stone A and Harrison PF. Alliance for Microbicide Development Report. May 2010.
• Vaginal microbicides save money: a model of cost-effectiveness in South Africa and the USA. Verguet S and J A Walsh JA. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 1 June 2010; 86(3):212-216.
• Scenario planning for 1% tenofovir gel. Prepared by the Boston Consulting Group. January 2011. Steering Committee 110124 vSENT.pdf
• USAID Microbicide Report 2011. USAID Shared vision and strategic plan for microbicide introduction draft 7 5 11.docx
• Capitalizing on Success: Investment in HIV Prevention R&D in 2010. HIV Vaccines and Microbicides Resource Tracking Working Group. July 2011.
• The Economics of Microbicide Development: A Case for Investment. The Rockefeller Foundation's Microbicide Initiative Pharmaco-Economics Working Group. 2001
• Modeling HIV Vaccines in Brazil: Assessing the Impact of a Future HIV Vaccine on Reducing New Infections, Mortality and Number of People Receiving ARV. Goretti M et al. PLoS ONE 5(7): e11736. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011736. July 2010.
• Global HIV Vaccine Enterprise. The Road to Prevention: A special preview of the Global HIV Vaccine Enterprise 2010 Scientific Strategic Plan. July 18. 2010.
• From Pipeline to Product: Malaria R&D Funding Needs into the Next Decade. PATH. December 2013.
• Business Investing in Malaria Control: Economic Returns and a Healthy Workforce for Africa. Roll Back Malaria. May 2011
• Malaria in Africa Can Be Eliminated. Campbell CC and Steketee RW. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2011 vol. 85 no. 4 584-585
• Malaria vaccine R&D in the Decade of Vaccines: Breakthroughs, challenges and opportunities. Birkett AJ et al. Vaccine Volume 31, Supplement 2. Pages: B233-B243
• Modeling the public health impact of malaria vaccines for developers and policymakers. Nunes JK et al. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013, 13:295
• Malaria Vaccine Initiative with the Boston Consulting Group. January 2005
Other neglected diseases
• A research agenda for helminth diseases of humans: diagnostics for control and elimination programmes. McCarthy JS et al. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6(4): e1601. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0001601
• The Human Hookworm Vaccine. Hotez PJ et al. Vaccine Volume 31, Supplement 2. Pages: B227-B232
• Case study for a vaccine against leishmaniasis. Alvar J et al. Vaccine Volume 31, Supplement 2. Pages: B244-B249
• Global economic burden of Chagas disease: a computational simulation model. Lee BL et al. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Volume 13, Issue 4, Pages 342 - 348, April 2013
• Do we need new drugs against human African trypanosomiasis? Stich A et al. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Volume 13, Issue 9, Pages 733 - 734, September 2013
• G-Finder Factsheet: R&D for diarrhoeal diseases. Policy Cures. November 2013.
• Research priorities for Chagas disease, human African trypanosomiasis and Leishmaniasis. WHO Technical Report Series. 2012.
• Priorities for tuberculosis research: a systematic review. Rylance J et al. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Volume 10, Issue 12, Pages 886 - 892, December 2010
• A rational vaccine pipeline for tuberculosis. Brennan MJ et al. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and lung disease. Volume 16, Number 12, 1 December 2012
• TB R & D Report 2005-2010 - 2nd Edition. Treatment Action Group and Stop TB Partnership. March 2012.
• Biomarkers and diagnostics for tuberculosis: progress, needs, and translation into practice. Wallis RS et al. The Lancet. May 29, 2010. 375 (9729): 1920-1937.
• Scale-up of services and research priorities for diagnosis, management, and control of tuberculosis: a call to action. Atun R et al. The Lancet. June 19, 2010. 375 (9732): 2169-2178
• An international roadmap for tuberculosis research. Stop TB partnership and WHO. October 2001.
• New Drugs for the Treatment of Tuberculosis: Needs, Challenges, Promise, and Prospects for the Future. Lienhardt C. et al. Journal of Infectious Diseases Advance Access published March 23, 2012
• Global tuberculosis drug development pipeline: the need and the reality. Ma Z et al. The Lancet. June 12, 2010. 375 (9731): 2100-2109.
• Tuberculosis vaccines: a strategic blueprint for the next decade. Brennan MJ & Thole J. Tuberculosis. Vol: 92 Suppl 1(S6-S13). March 2012
• Rational approach to selection and clinical development of TB vaccine candidates. Barker L et al. Tuberculosis. Vol: 92 Suppl 1(S25-S29). March 2012
• Bridging the gap: Engaging researchers and advocates to build support for TB vaccine research and development. Kennell M & Wooley J. Tuberculosis. Vol: 92 Suppl 1(S30-S32). March 2012
• An urgent call for a stronger, louder voice for TB vaccine advocacy. Tameris M et al. Tuberculosis. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tube.2013.02.016. Available online 14 March 2013.
• Preventive vaccines for tuberculosis. Evans TG et al. Vaccine Volume 31, Supplement 2. Pages: B223-B226
• New vaccines for tuberculosis. Kaufmann SHE et al. The Lancet. June 12, 2010. 375 (9731): 2110-2119.
• Tuberculosis Vaccines: The Case for Investment. BIO Ventures for Global Health. October 2006
• Capacity Building Matters: An overview of MMV's capacity building activities. MMV. September 2013
• Collateral Benefits: How the Pursuit of an AIDS Vaccine Has Boosted African Research. Thomson H. Frontlines. June/ July 2011.
PDP Related Materials
• Business Case for Investment in TB vaccines. Aeras and TBVI. 2013
• The need for New TB Vaccines. Aeras 2012
• Economics of TB Vaccine Workshop. July 18-19, 2012. Summary Report. Aeras. August 2012.
Dengue Vaccine Initiative
• PDVI DenguEcon, an economic model of dengue vaccination. January 2011.
• FIND Malaria Strategy. FIND. 2012.
• The potential impact of an AIDS Vaccine in low- and middle-income countries. IAVI Policy Brief 29 May 2012.
• AIDS Vaccines: Exploring the Potential Cost/ Benefit. IAVI Policy Brief 30. May 2012.
• Spotlight on Women: Modeling the impact of a future AIDS vaccine. IAVI Policy Note. May 2012.
• China: Estimating the impact of an AIDS Vaccine. IAVI. August 2012.
• Forecasting Demand for Preventative HIV Vaccines in India. International AIDS Vaccine Initiative. June 2007
• Why Microbicides for Women? 2013.
• Saving Lives With Multipurpose Prevention Technologies: Turning Ideas Into Solutions for Sexual and Reproductive Health. Holt BY et al. Coalition Advancing Multipurpose Innovations, PATH. May 2010.
• Pathway to Patients: Charting the Dynamics of the Global TB Drug Market. Global Alliance for TB Drug Development. May 2007
• TB Alliance - Interactive Portfolio TB Alliance. June 2013
Funder Related Material
• Donor Investment Choices: Modelling the value for money of investing in PD PPPs as compared to other health care and non-health care interventions. Summary report. Office of Health Economics (OHE). November 2006. Study commissioned by The Rockefeller Foundation.
• An Emerging Leader: Germany's Role in Neglected and Poverty-Related Disease R&D. Policy Cures. December 2013
• Supporting the global AIDS vaccine R&D effort: the UK example. Presentation by Sue Kinn of DFID to IAVI sponsored meeting in Berlin, November 2007. Berlin presentation for IAVI meeting - sue kinn.ppt
• USAID: Report to Congress: Health-related research and development strategy. 2011-2015. December 2012.
• Renewing US leadership: Policies to advance global health research. Global Health Technologies Coalition (GHTC). February 2013.
• The CTSA Program at NIH: Opportunities for Advancing Clinical and Translational Research. Institute of Medicine (IOM). June 2013