• Multi-stakeholder Technical Meeting on Implementation Options Recommended by the WHO Consultative Expert Working Group on Research & Development (CEWG): Financing and Coordination. Report of a meeting held in October 2012.
• Research and development to meet health needs in developing countries: strengthening global financing and coordination pdf, 1.20Mb Consultative Expert Working Group on Research and Development: Financing and Coordination (CEWG). April 2012.
• Report of the World Health Organization Expert Working Group on Research and Development Financing. World Health Organization. January 2010
• Global health funding: how much, where it comes from and where it goes. McCoy D et al. Health Policy and Planning Advance Access published online on July 1, 2009.
• Critical Choices In Financing The Response To The Global HIV/AIDS Pandemic. Hecht R et al. Health Affairs. 28 (6): 1591-1605
Reports on Funding for Health R&D
Global Forum for Health Research Reports
• Monitoring Financial Flows for Health Research 2009: Behind the Global Numbers. Global Forum for Health Research. 2009.
Policy Cures/ George Institute Reports
• Neglected disease funding remains off the mark.. Mary Moran et al. Global Health. Summer 2009.
• Neglected disease research and development: New times, new trends. George Institute. December 2009
• Neglected disease research and development: Is innovation under threat? Policy Cures. December 2011
• G-FINDER 2013 Report: Neglected disease research and development: The public divide. Policy Cures. December 2013.
• How has G-FINDER made an impact in global health. Policy Cures. May 2012. G-FINDER Impact 20120605.docx
HIV Vaccines & Microbicides Resource Tracking Working Group Reports
• Sustaining the HIV Prevention Research Agenda: Funding for Research Development of HIV Vaccines, Microbicides and Other New Prevention Tools (2000-2007)". August 2008. HIV Vaccines and Microbicides Resource Tracking Working Group
• Adapting to Realities: Trends in HIV Prevention Research Funding 2000 to 2008 August 2009. HIV Vaccines and Microbicides Resource Tracking Working Group
• Piecing Together the HIV Prevention Puzzle: 2009 AVAC Report. AVAC. May 2009
• Research & Reality. AVAC Report 2013. AVAC. December 2013.
• Investing to End the AIDS Epidemic: A New Era for HIV Prevention Research & Development. The HIV Vaccines and Microbicides Resource Tracking Working Group. July 2012.
TAG and Stop TB Partnership
• 2012 Report on Tuberculosis Research Funding Trends, 2005–2011. TAG and Stop TB Partnership. November 2012.
• 2013 Report on Tuberculosis Research Funding Trends, 2005–2012. TAG. October 2013.
• UK investments in global infectious disease research 1997–2010: a case study.U• Head MG et al. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Volume 13, Issue 1, Pages 55 - 64, January 2013 Ending earmarks also means the end of many research projects. Mervis J. Science. 11 February 2011; 331(6018):661.
• Engaging a Rising China through Neglected Tropical Diseases. Hotez PJ. Editorial. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6(11): e1599. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0001599. November 2012.
• Neglected disease research and development: Is the global financial crisis changing R&D? Moran M et al. Policy Cures Report. 2011
Funding Gaps/ Funding Needs
Estimates of costs of Drug Development
• The R&D Cost of a New Medicine. Mestre-Ferrandiz J et al. Office of Health Economics. Monograph. December 2012
Estimates of PDP Funding Gaps
• Data on the funding needs for the various products that the PDPs are working on are very limited; and the data that are available are not necessarily comparable.The attached document provides a summary of the information currently available. Cost projections - Oct 22.pdf
Other initiatives/ groups
This group was established by the Director General of WHO to examine current financing and coordination of research and development, as well as proposals for new and innovative sources of funding to stimulate research and development related to Type II and Type III diseases and the specific R&D needs of developing countries in relation to Type I diseases. The final report was published in January 2010 and presented to the Health Assembly in May 2010.
The report of the Taskforce on International Innovative Financing for Health Systems, co-chaired by Gordon Brown, UK Prime Minister and Robert Zoellick, President of the World Bank, was completed on 29th May 2009 at the third Taskforce meeting held in Paris